Gol city center
The main trading village in Hallingdal
Gol can be the image of Norwegian cosiness and invites you to a holiday that is both inspiring and relaxing. Enjoy the good life, the beautiful light and the warm, good inland climate. In the city center you will find a cozy village with a lively shopping street and many good places to eat. Here, many successful small stores have managed to establish themselves together with several of the well-known chain stores. The cafes have both indoor and outdoor serving and the menus vary from good Norwegian home cooking, local baked goods, Chinese restaurant, Italian pizza restaurant and international restaurants.
Attractions in the city center
- The medieval park Gordarike is part of Hallingresort. Here you can visit a copy of Gol Stave Church and look at exhibitions about stave churches, Viking kings from Hallingdal, goblins and trolls. Find out more here.
- Myklefossen power plant. Restored power plant that was in use in the 20th century, is idyllically located by the river Hemsila, which flows from Hemsedal.
- A department of Hallingdal Museum can be found high up on the hillside by the folk high school (not serviced - but interesting to look at the old farm houses).
Activities in the city center
- In Tropicana water park, the waves go high and the slides long.
- Take a dip in the Hallingdalselva on Glitre bathing area 1.5 km from the center.
- About 2.5 km from the center is a bathing center Hallingstampen.
- You get real action in Gol Motorpark with ATVs and motocross riding.
- Gol municipality Sports arena. During the school holidays, you can try indoor climbing and bouldering in the new and beautiful indoor hall.
Hiking in the city center
At least 24 walks are well marked and are easily accessible from the center. Cozy hiking in the woods, along rivers and streams or up to several beautiful vantage points. Here is a tour brochure with information about length, degree of difficulty, starting point and map. Our favorites are the top trips to Dugurdsnatten and Lisbetnuten.
Fishing in the city center
Trout fishing in the Hallingdal river in Gol. The river has a nice population of trout. The fishing license applies to Hallingdalselva in Gol municipality from Ål municipal border at the bridge Trillhus to Nesbyen municipal border at Svenkerud. See the brochure "Fishing in Gol".
Travel by car
In the middle of southern Norway you will find Gol in Hallingdal. Gol is one of the 6 Hallingdal municipalities with Flå, Nesbyen, Ål, Hol (Geilo) and Hemsedal as partners in the region. Five of the villages are like pearls on a string in Hallingdalen, along national road 7. To get to Hemsedal, take the road off at Gol on national road 52.
It is easy to get to Gol from most parts of the country. Some of the main roads that meet in Gol are:
- Highway 7 between Oslo (160 km) and Bergen (290 km). Highway 7 is just one of the roads between east and west.
- Highway 52 from Sogn over Hemsedalsfjellet via Hemsedal (35 km).
- Highway 51 from Leira (40 km), Fagernes, Valdresflya or from Dokka (90 km), Lillehammer and Gjøvik (100 km).
Train and bus
Gol Station - Oslo-Bergen with vy.no
The Bergen line (Bergensbanen) is 371 kilometers long from Hønefoss to Bergen. The line is connected to the Randsfjord line and the Roa-Hønefoss line in Hønefoss. The track follows Hallingdalen up to the Hardangervidda, reaches its highest point (1237 masl) west of Finse, before descending towards Western Norway past Myrdal and following Raundalen down to Voss. From Voss, the path goes along the fjords to Bergen. The course is marked by the dramatic landscape it passes through.
Gol Station approx. 2 km from Hallingresort cabin park.
Gol Skysstasjon is a stop for buses between Oslo and Bergen. Booking on vybuss.no The shuttle station has a restaurant with a menu of good Norwegian quality food for dinner and lunch. Newly renovated both inside and out, right in the center.
Gol Skysstasjon is 400 meters from Hallingresort cabin park.
Industry and wholesale
Gol is one of the country's largest tourism municipalities, and is the regional trade and service center for the Hallingdal region. The service industries make up approx. 70%, industry, power and water supply, construction approx. 20% and agriculture approx. 10% of total employment.
The name Gol is supposed to come from Gord, which for a time was the name of the river that flows through the village. The name means fence. The river created a barrier and set the boundary between two valley sides. It is uncertain when the first people settled in Gol, but one is quite sure that by the year 1000 there were at least 26 farms in Gol. Finds of animal graves and iron slag on Golsfjellet show, however, that the area has been exploited since ancient times. Gol Stave Church was moved to Bygdøy in 1884 and formed the core of the Norwegian Folk Museum. Today, Gol has only the listed cemetery left of the original, but a copy of the stave church has been built between national road 7 and Gol city center in the medieval park Gordarike.
Gol has been in, and is still in, rapid development. Among other things, a new school for NOK 250 million was taken into use in 2018, and the year after Gol Municipality's Sports Arena to approx. NOK 35 million
Distance from Hallingresort cabin park to Gol center is 200 meters.